Friday 6 October 2017

Sweden - Monday and Tuesday (Home & Stockholm)


Monday September 25, 2017


Not much to tell about Monday.  I had a bad night and woke up with a headache, so knew better than to undertake excursions or do anything strenuous.  The washing got done and the day was further spent reading and knitting.  All in all a quiet day at the end of which we packed for our trip the following day.

Tuesday September 26, 2017


The next few days were going to be exiting again.  We'd agreed to visit Ria and Jan in Rengsjö as you may recall, but first we were travelling to Stockholm

Dianne had to go back to work again, so she dropped us of early at Hyllie station where Patricia and I hopped into the nearest McDonald's for a coffee and internet while waiting for the train. We would travel to Malmö and then change trains for Stockholm, where we would arrive in the afternoon. 



On the train to Stockholm

Once in Stockholm we found our way to gamla stan (the old town centre) where we booked into our hotel.  I was glad to have only packed my backpack and travelled light, because it would have been quite a walk with a suitcase on wheels, as it proved to be for Patricia.



Sculpture near the railway station







Our hotel Castle House Inn
Entrance below the sign


After our check-in we went out again to explore the part of town we were staying in.  Lovely old buildings and interesting narrow streets and lanes.  We stopped at a restaurant for a meal of Nachos, but they were dry and boring, so I finished off with a tall glass of beer!



View from the end of 'our 'street


Sign in the window of a coffee shop



Fountain near the beginning of 'our' street



Attempted selfies while waiting for our meal



On the way back I bought a souvenir candle holder of which the top spins slowly when you burn a candle.  It reminded me of one my mother had for the Christmas period, otherwise I am not so big on souvenirs.



Cobblestoned streets all through gamla stan



Our room for the night (picture taken from my bed in the corner)

And then it was time for bed.  Patricia went for the double, but I couldn't care less, I had a glorious real bed to sleep in.  Great after a long week on a short and uncomfortable camp bed....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.