Monday 23 October 2017

Poland - Friday and Saturday (Ustroń)


Friday, 20 October 2017


All good things come to an end and finally we have to temporarily say goodbye to Renata and Eva.

We catch a taxi to the bus station in the city and walk around half the train station until we find the bus station.  The taxi driver apparently dropped us off at the wrong 'top' level. ;-)

We found the bus to Ustroń and we arrived after a good 2 1/2 hour drive.  In Ustroń we again had some problems finding our accommodation, but when we did we were happy to sit down and relax with a cuppa.

After a few emotional and full-on days I was happy to have a quiet afternoon.  I have also found that I don't take well to bus trips anymore, having problems with motion sickness.  Luckily I had managed to find a seat at the front, because the day before I had to take quite a few deep breaths before my stomach settled.  Anyway, a nanna-nap on the couch did wonders and after that I was right to go to the Lidl with Patricia to do our grocery shopping.

Saturday, 21 October 2017


I work on my blog till about 10am when Patricia suggests we walk to the market.  There are not many stalls to look at, but just enough.  It's basically a variety of flea market wares, clothing and some fresh fruit and vegies.  From the market we proceed to the main road and venture into a side street where I discover a sign for a salon fryzjerski which I figure to be a hair salon. I go upstairs and down the walkway and check it out. Yes, it is and yes they can do our hair straightaway, so I call Patricia and we sit down.  A few hours later we walk out with pretty, Polish style, hairdos.  Not too bad and different from my Italian style hairdo of last year! ;-)  Probably a good decision to have our hair done here, because I paid only the equivalent of A$47 for a colour and a trim.  At home it would have been almost double the price!

It's about midday before we're finished, so we walk on in search for something to eat.  We could have gone home, but I like to be adventurous and look for some local food.  We find it a a little stand that advertises Sery Góralskie.  There is a lot of stuff on display, but I can't make out what it is and I forget that I have a translator on my mobile phone.  Whatever it is, it won't kill us, so yes, we have one of each of the little 'things' we see on the grill.  


Sery goralskie (sheep's cheese)


It tastes so good that we go back for another one. Later on I discover that it sheep's cheese, produced in the hills during summertime by the shepherds.  We each have one of the little shapes seen in the bottom of the photograph.  The cheese is grilled and we had one with bacon wrapped around and another one with a sweet sauce, not unlike jam.  Yummy.

Seen on our walk through Ustroń:







On the way home we buy 'dessert' in the form of an ice cream (which I regret later, because some ice creams still seem to upset my bowls) and do some additional shopping at the supermarket Carrefour.

We take some more pictures as we pass the local library:


Tromp l'oeil on the library walls outside





Once back I email our hostess, who lives 450km from here, to see if she can book me in to see a doctor as my tick bite from Sweden is not improving, and Renata had also said I'd better have it seen to. 

Then we are in for some quite time at home again.  I still have my blog and photographs to update and a series of email messages to write.

Patricia has the half of her pizza from the night before and I have a simple meal of penne pasta with pesto, but since my stomach is upset I am not very hungry, so I have an early night instead.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.