Monday 11 July 2016

Colwyn Bay - Sunday

Sunday, 3 July, 2016

As usual I haven't been able to keep up with writing my logs but.... it's a good reason to condense the week a bit, but I'm still going to split up the posts over a few days.

On Sunday Chris and Sal took me out again on a sightseeing trip, this time via
Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch (!) and Penmon on Anglesey, just off the coast of North Wales. 

The aforementioned (I am not going to repeat this name) is the longest place name in the world which British weatherman Liam Dutton had no problem pronouncing in his weather report.  See youtube for this. ;-)


On the way to Anglesey


Proof that I was here ;-)

Chris and Dylan wait in the car while Sal and I take pictures

It was quite a drive to Penmon, but Chris appeared to be an excellent tour guide and provided me with a lot of back ground information. 

At Penmon we first walked to the water's edge from where we could see Puffin Island and Trwyn Du Lighthouse.  



Trwyn Du lighthouse and Puffin Island with Chris and Sal in the foreground

On the way back we stopped at Penmon Priory where Sal and I went on a discovery tour while Chris and Dylan patiently waited in the car. 



Dovecot of Penmon Priory


Dovecot copula and nesting boxes


St Seiriol's Well inside


Penmon cross inside church


The Priory House


View from the Cloister

On the way back Chris takes us through Snowdonia national park.  I can't remember in which order, but we passed Bethesda and slate mines in the area and we visited Llyn Padarn and Vivian Quarry at Llanberis.


Vivian Quarry - Llanberis


 
Vivian Quarry - Llanberis


That must have been all for the trip, as I am mainly going by the pictures I have taken.  Senior moments abound....

When I am looking at all the places where we have been during the past two days I discover that there was a plethora of geocaches everywhere we went.  Ah well, this was only a trip to familiarise myself with the surroundings and I can go where ever I like during the week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.