Saturday 14 September 2019

Emsdetten - Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Münster, Exhibition, Tecklenburg)



Saturday 7 September 2019


On Saturday Helmut has left early to do his own thing and the four of us: Wim, Gerrie, Rosel and I go to Münster.  We walk around in town, have a cup of coffee, visit the town hall briefly and then go to the market.  While there we have a light lunch and after that we look around in the church, which has an astronomical clock.  We can only look at it, but it is under repair/maintenance, so it doesn't work. It's the third astronomical clock I have seen.  The others were in Prague and Lund (Sweden).

I'll just show the pictures with captions as I am way behind with my updates.


A cultural thing to do with the theatre - Star Wars



Some buildings in Münster



Some bread shapes in the window of a bakery

Wim, Gerrie and Rosel

Vintage car = tourist attraction

this ship hung in the town hall

the very colourful flower market


little apples for decoration only - they're not edible


Lunch time

Flammkuchen and cider
(a kind of very thin pizza base with either onions
and sundried tomatoes or onions and bacon)
A delicacy from the Elsas

The astronomical clock




Wim and Gerrie had to leave when we came home as they had booked a space at the local caravan park and they were only open at certain times.

It was great to see each other for a short while and I am looking forward to seeing more of my brother and sister-in-law when I go to the Netherlands next week.

In the evening, after dinner, Rosel and I went back to Münster for an evening at the theatre. We listened to the orchestra playing the Star Wars melody, watched drama and sketches, modern dances, etc.  It was different but a nice experience.

Since it finished quite early we also visited Rosel's daughter who had her birthday party.

Sunday 8 September 2019


On Sunday I had a quiet morning, updating my blog and doing a few other things and in the afternoon Helmut, Rosel and I went to a monastery where a friend of Rosel's held an exhibition of her paintings.  Mainly portraits.   We listened to someone talking for hours (it seemed) while we enjoyed a drink and a few nibblies and afterwards went to see the paintings.  I talked to Isabel, the artist, and she liked to speak to me in Dutch, which she did very well.


Rosel and Helmut inspecting the paintings

Isabel and I






When back from the exhibition we had coffee and Luzy's (from Luzy-Cafe) delicious plum cake. Staying here for too long would not be good for my waistline!



Monday 9 September 2019


The Queensland bush fires made the morning paper in Emsdetten:


Binna Burra burnt to the ground

Since I had some spare time I decided to go on another bike ride.  I don't plan them.  I just see where the road takes me.  This one took me to Hembergen.  It may have been 8 kms.  I'm not sure.  I took some photos, but also tried something different, a short video. Unfortunately not short enough, because the download size is more than the allowable limit. :-(


Hard to see, but there is a little squirl in the picture

You see a large number of religious monuments in Germany (as well
 as in the south of the Netherlands and northern part of France). 







The German equivalent of Park & Ride:
bicycles instead of cars



In the afternoon Helmut and Rosel took me to Tecklenburg.  We walked through town, had coffee and cake at Cafe Rabbel.  After that we walked to the castle ruin and I found a cache there too.


A quaint little shop

Helmut and Rosel



Cafe Rabbel on the right

Rosel and I enjoying coffee and..... yes.... cake!

Translation: I have weighed myself.  I am too small.... ;-)
That is very true for me.  HaHa






The open air theatre we're going to visit next Saturday




Beautiful black petunias

In a ceramics/pottery shop



2105 - Burgruine Tecklenburg (cache)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.