Thursday 19 September 2019

Emsdetten - Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Hülshoff, Tecklenburg, Train trip to NL)

Friday 13 September 2019


Just a picture of the wall of Rosel and Helmut's house.  On the 6th of January, when people come around for Epiphany they leave a mark with the year on the wall of the house.  Some are stickers, some are marks done with chalk like here:


20* (?) Caspar, Melchior en Balthasar + the year

By mid morning Rosel decided that we would have time to visit Burg Hülshoff, the birthplace of the poetess Annette von Droste-Hülshoff.  We wandered around the grounds where, at the time, environmental students were trying to highlight the problems with our 'disposal' society.  We had coffee and cake (of course) and visited the museum part of the castle.











Bust of the poetess


Haven't seen these cute little daisies since I was little

Students' project

Students' project

Of course, coffee and (plum)cake

Part of the students' project







A cute book series

Students' project




After our visit of the castle Rosel drive to a nearby town where her physio lives.  She had a look and feel and pressed and moved and poked and said the same as the others: this has all the signs of a fracture!  Well, not something that showed up anywhere, so we stick with the mystery.  She taped my leg and I felt like a sportswoman who persevered with her sports no matter what... ;-)




Saturday 14 September 2019


Just sitting in the kitchen watching the sun....




As it was Saturday the markets were on, so Helmut, Rosel and I went to the markets.  I first went into a newsagent to buy a postcard to send someone special and after that we met at Luzy-Cafe.  How unusual!  I ask for the special Luzy-kuchen that I liked so much.  It was my last chance!  I knew better than to take another photograph!

When finished Rosel and Helmut went to their saxophone classes and I returned home, but not before I walked into a shop where I bought a nice top and had quite a chat with the shopkeeper.

At 3pm Rosel suggested we go and visit her friend Brigit.  She lives on the other side of Emsdetten and it made for a nice bike ride through the forest.  We had coffee and cake (ahem) at Brigit's and we admired her handicrafts.  She in turn admired the pictures of my witch's house and flower shop.  We left, but not before she had given me a cute little hand-made mouse as a present.  Will add a picture when I have found the mouse which at present resides somewhere in my suitcase.


hand-made cliff house







Quite a number of pictures of chooks,
but I just love them










After our bike ride back it was about time to leave for our night out to watch the musical of Dr. Zjivago at the outdoor theatre at Tecklenburg.

We found a nice little restaurant in Tecklenburg centre and had a lovely meal which we finished off with a local dessert known as Kaiserschmarrn.  It is also a well-know Austrian dessert and looks a bit like fluffy, shredded pancakes.  It's eaten with a berry or custard sauce.  Personally I reminds me of the Dutch poffertjes eaten with butter instead.





When finished we walked to the theatre and enjoyed a great musical.  It was at least 50 years since I had seen the movie Dr. Zjivago so I had read up on it in the afternoon to refresh my memory.

Sunday 15 September 2019


Finally the last day in Emsdetten had arrived and I left on the train at 12pm.  Rosel and Helmut dropped me off at the station in Rheine, which meant one less change.  That means a lot with a heavy suitcase and a still painful foot.





International trains generally have a restaurant on board and a 3 hour train trip was gladly broken up with a cup of coffee and a croissant. 

Changing trains at Amsterdam Central was easy and I was at Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel in just under an hour.  Fred was there to pick me up and I was brought home to get acquainted with his wife Chantal.  Knowing I was from the Netherlands originally I was received with endive stamppot with bacon pieces.  Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.