Tuesday 21 August 2018

Lovedean - Saturday and Sunday (walking, travelling home)


Saturday 19 August 2018


The night before I had finally had the chance to book my flight home.  Ken had kindly offered to drop me off at Heathrow airport and he told me that the were so glad that I had picked them up the day before.  There's really not much to it for me.  I do it all the time for my visitors, because I know what a nuisance it can be to drag around heavy luggage.  Anyway, in my booking I had included a seat with extra leg room as it didn't cost the world and the flight was rather cheap in comparison with the one I flew in on all those weeks ago.  Imagine my surprise when Malaysia Airlines sent me an offer to upgrade to business class for a, relative, small amount.  Of course I didn't hesitate one moment, because I have never been given the option before and I know what a difference it can make on a long trip.  I wasn't fortunate enough to get the upgrade (or the option for extra leg room) on my longest stretch though, but beggars can't be choosers and I waited with baited breath on the outcome.  (One's counter offer has to be accepted first.)

As most of the work in the house had been done together with Jose, I didn't need to do much more than update my blog and pack my suitcase, so when Ken had to run an errand and Gill asked me to join her on a walk I gladly did so.  We walked a longer stretch this time, all the way through the fields.  The weather was fine and it wasn't muddy and wet like on the earlier walk.  Because we walked through the fields there were plenty of styles to climb and gates to pass through.  Here follows a collection of the types.




The weight: an ingeneous way to make sure the gate closes

And a few pictures to give you the idea of this walk through the fields.  Of course, big parts of the tracks near the bushes are still lined with blackberry bramble and I can't help myself but stop regularly for a snack.  The stinging nettles don't worry me overly much, but a wasp that stings me does. Ouch!






Close-up of the houses down by the road

We follow the track through the fresh manure ;-)

After this walk, and after lunch I go and pack my bags while Ken and Gill entertain visitors Nikki and Dave, whom have taken us on the walk during our first week in Lovedean.

Next we have dinner, lamb and roasted vegies and apple crumble for dessert.  After we finish the dishes I join Ken and Gill in front of the TV, but I don't really care much for the film.  Neither do they, it appears, so we all have an early night.

Sunday 20 August 2018


This time I complete my blog and include my trip home.  In January I forgot and it's too long ago now to update, because I don't remember much of the last days.

We get up early, of course, and are in no time at Heathrow airport.  I say goodbye to these two lovely people who have quickly become good friends.  After I have checked in sit down with a light breakfast and let friends and family on facebook know that I am on my way home.  I also finish a few Wordfeud games and then it's time to board.  

The flight to Kuala Lumpur is long and uneventful.  Twelve hours, and I don't sleep much, as usual.  I don't care much for the movies that are on offer so I finish a book that Jose has given me before she left.  We arrive in the dark.

Not much of a picture, but this is Kuala Lumpur by night


At Kuala Lumpur airport I look for the Golden Lounge (VIP lounge), as I have been told I at check-in that I should go there and have dinner.  Well, I have had enough to eat on the plane, so I am not real hungry, but there is enough light food on offer at the buffet to pick up a collection of fruit and a piece of pastry to have with my coffee.

I spend the three hours waiting time in the luxury of a soft chair and views of the coming and going of planes.






By 9:30 it's time for boarding again and this time I am lead to the business class section.  I am not disappointed! Wow!  Lots of space and I can even have a massage or lower the seat to stretch out and sleep comfortably, which I do in time...

The service is great, with friendly staff and the food is delicious. Not only is everything served on a real table cloth, but even the table gets taken out and prepared for you.  Just sit back and relax is the business class motto, it seems. :-)




Brunch (and this is only the first part of it)

Satay, a 'light snack' before landing

And all in front of a big screen

Well, I won't forget this trip quickly, and the other great thing is that I was off the plane very fast; going through emigration was no problem; luggage was 'priority' labelled, thus first off the plane; customs was fast, even though I had ticked that I had been on a farm and then there was good, old Kevin waiting for me to take me home.

Another memorable trip behind me....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.