Thursday 21 June 2018

Vienna - Wednesday (Hundertwasserhaus)

Wednesday 20 June 2018


My current pattern seems to be one of slowly waking up in the morning and contemplating the day.  So far I haven't managed any early morning walks as I don't sleep well yet, but I may resort to evening walks, seeing that the evenings are warm and long.

However, I have the use of a bicycle here, so bike riding may be the way to go.  I thought I'd try it out for a short ride to....... the Hundertwasserhaus!  This I've had on my list ever since we have visited the Hundertwasser toilettes (yes, toilettes, you read it correctly) in New Zealand.

The bike ride was a bit hairy in the beginning.  I litterally had my heart in my mouth a few times, in particular when I had to steer close to the tram lines.  One fall in the distant past, during my teenage years, is one I vividly remember and don't care to repeat.  Anyway, when I am not sure I get off and walk a bit until I can see my way free again, cross the road or round a different corner, as long as it gets me in the general direction.  And in fact it did.  I was standing in front of the Hundertwasserhaus before I knew it.  So following are some pictures I took.







I believe that the grey bit is the facade of an existing house
that Hundertwasser insisted had to be incorporated in the new building. 






I am sure it would have been a pretty place to live in the past.  Not now, with all the tourists.  Yes, I was one of them, and yes I took photos too, but collectively we have spoilt something peaceful and beautiful, since it is now merely a tourist attraction.

From here I wanted to follow my ride along the river Danube and cross to the Prater on the other side, but here I had made a miscalculation.  I could not get onto the bridge from the bike path, so I kept going and left the Prater for another day.

And yes, we live with grafiti everywhere, even along the
 (not so blue anymore) Donau

On the way back I rode through the Stadtpark again and couldn't resist another icecream.  I am afraid that young man at the stall is going to remember me for times to come.... ;-)





A quick stop at the supermarket for some groceries and then I was back home again.  In the supermarket I was suprised by some oldfashioned fruit that I hadn't eaten for years, so in my basket it went. 

European Goosberry (kroezels or kruisbessen)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.