Thursday 28 June 2018

Vienna - Tuesday and Wednesday (Prater, 5Ws)


Tuesday 26 June 2018


The weather was a bit iffy, but I thought I could make it on my bike and stay dry.  That wasn't to be....  Anyway, I started off alright and rode to the Prater, a kind of amusement park without entry fees.  I partially rode my bike as all the rides are mainly on public roads, but then decided that I would see more if I took my time and walked.  Parked and locked the bike and strolled around the park.  I knew there to be a virual cache as well, so I had my picture taken and had that cache done and dusted!  As the object of the cache was the old Ferris wheel, there was also a more modern version, I plucked up my courage and bought a ticket to go on the ride.  Having had problems with heights (or rather space) for more than 40 years I gave myself a pet on the back for doing so.  I even enjoyed it.  It helped that the carriages were enclosed, but it was a step in the right direction.  The height of the ferris wheel was approx. 65m so we got to see a lot of the surroundings.










the 'new' ferris wheel in the back



a miniature version of the 'old' ferris wheel



The Ferris wheel

also

#1969 - Virtual Reward - Das Riesenrad (virtual cache)

















Returning 'to earth' I briefly watched an orchestra, but as the stormclouds had been closing in (see pictures) that didn't last long.  Everyone had to pack up and I walked to my bike.  Walking was alright, because I had taken my umbrella, but alas, never mastered to use it on the bike, so I was pretty wet by the time I got home.  No problem, I had a great afternoon and the clothes dried quickly enough.


Wednesday 27 June 2018


I had been looking forward to this, as I was going to meet a few 5W ladies from Vienna and two more from Australia, who had just arrived in town.  Vienna was their last leg of a three month tour of Europe.

We had coffee and lunch at the State Opera cafe and chatted about anything and everything.  As you do!  On Friday there is an other Aussie arriving (what's up with all those Aussies???) and we will all meet again, but this time at the house of one of our local ladies who is going to make us a Viennese speciality.  Roll on Friday. ;-)



Christina, Margaretha, Veronika, Margaret, Jenny, Marion






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.