Thursday 21 June 2018

Vienna is on the horizon

Yes, it's that time of the year again that I have packed my suitcase and travel to the other side of the world.  This time it's going to be Vienna, Prague and Lovedean (UK).

I left on Sunday afternoon, the 17th of July, after Kevin had dropped me off at the airport (what's new ;-)) and after we had enjoyed a cuppa together.

This time I flew from Brisbane to Singapore, with just enough time to transfer to the next flight (including taking the sky train - Changi is forever growing), which took me to Zuerich.  There I had a 4 hour wait, which didn't seem all that long, and before I knew it I was on the last leg to Vienna.  I bought a ticket for the train from the airport to central station, where Peter was waiting for me.  Otherwise it would have been another train into the city.  This was a lot easier.

So, I had arrived on Monday afternoon and Bo and Peter, my exchange partners, got me settled and left to go to their second house, just outside of Vienna. And there I was...  In a beautiful house in the middle of beautiful Vienna.  I had to find something to eat, so I walked to the nearest supermarket, which is very handy at the next block of houses, and got groceries for the next few days.  Then I took some pictures in and around the house and after that I crashed!  It had been a long two days with little sleep....


Outside Central Station

Central Station Vienna

Supermarket - Spar Gourmet

My evening meal: delicious European bread rolls.
I just wish the Australians knew how to make bread!!!

View from the living room window: Karlskirche


And yes, like every other old city in the modern world
Vienna to is being choked by cars

The large staircase going up to the first floor

Looking down onto the backdoor in the hall of this great old house

Tuesday, June 19, 2018


I really took my time to settle.  Why hurry, I don't have to go or be anywhere. Besides, I had a great book that I couldn't put down, so between trying to wake up, doing some chores, like unpacking my suitcase, and keeping in touch with everyone via facebook, I kept pretty busy.

It wasn't until the afternoon that I felt like a stroll around town, so I walked via Karlsplatz, to check out the tube station, to the city centre.  I am staying so close to the city centre that I can easily walk the distance. 

Now, I have been here 7 years ago with Frank, so I thought I would remember a few places, because that's what we did back then: walk around the city.  Besides the Mozart house in the Domgasse there was really nothing that I could recall.  Even on my walk through the park I didn't feel that I recognised anything.  I remembered a park, but had no idea which one.  

I took pictures and at home I became curious as to what we had actually seen so long ago, so I got out the Vienna pictures of 2011 and what do you think???  I had virtually walked the same way, but in the opposite direction.  Even in the park!

Karlskirche

Karlskirche (front)

Karlsplatz restaurant

Karlsplatz tube station

Vienna State Opera House

A fountain in front

Albertinaplatz (I quite dislike the monstrous
modern addition to a beautiful old building!)

Domkirche St Stephan

old meets new

A quaint little shop...

...hidden away behind tall buildings


Stadtpark

Franz Lehar

Kurhaus in the Stadtpark


Johann Strauss memorial

Fountain at the end of our street

And you know what I enjoyed most of the walk?  A quiet moment on a parkbench beneath the trees.  I heard the song of a European blackbird.  Marvellous.  I think that sound is to me what the sound of a cookaburra is to Aussies: familiarity.  Add my favourite strawberry/vanilla soft icecream and my day was perfect!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.