Tuesday 8 August 2017

A weekend at Dunethin Rock

Friday, 4 August 2017

Today is Stephen's birthday, so first thing of course is to ring him and wish him a happy birthday.  We also discuss a present for him which will take the form of dinner and a movie together sometime later this year at a time that will suit us both.

Next it's time to pack the camper as I will be going away for the weekend.  Dianne and Heather will be coming in Heather's car with the two kayaks and we will meet at Maccas on the motorway near Caboolture.  I have had the power on to cool the fridge and freezer and fill up the tank with drinking water.  Then I'm ready to go.  It's early, just after twelve noon, so I take the camper to Red Beach (just around the block) and park there to have lunch away from home and in peaceful surroundings.

Then I am on my way to Maccas where, after arrival, I receive a phone call from Dianne.  They've missed the turn-off at Caboolture and will be waiting at the next exict, Pumicestone Road.

From there it's plain sailing and we make good time to Dunethin Rock.  Heather has me on my toes, however, as she is really doing the allowed 110 km/hr on the motorway and I need to keep up.  The coaster has no problem with the speed, but the traffic is heavy and I don't particularly like weaving in and out of the lanes.  On my own I'd prefer a more leisurely speed, but we get there without problems.  That's the main thing.

Upon arrival at the scouts campe we're greeted by Ken, who points out where we are to park and after levelling the camper we can sit back and relax.  More people arrive slowly, but the actual event doesn't start until Saturday afternoon, so we take it easy.  Dianne has cooked a nice curry, which we have for dinner and the evening we spend together in the big hall with coffee and some stronger stuff.  Both Dianne and Heather sleep in the camper.  Three years ago Heather and I spent a few very cold nights in a borrowed tent, but not so this year.  No tent, no cold nights either!

---

On Saturday Colin, Patricia's son, arrives as well and in his mother's new camper, which we finally get to see.  A big step-up from her VW transporter: a Toyota hiace.  She's done well.





Heather, Colin and others are going for a paddle on the river, while Dianne and I, not having the strong muscles the others have, decide to go for a walk and look for a few caches in the area.  No new ones for me, as I have already found them, but it's Dianne's first year here, so she'll have a few smileys for her efforts.

The actual event starts a 2 pm and by that time we have gathered quite a group together.  It's Jenny's birthday and we celebrate with a big birthday cake after a BBQ lunch.  The rest of the afternoon is spend chatting and receiving 'lucky draw' gifts and there is also a FTF for a winner.  I am not keen to win that one as it's on the water and I am not planning on going paddling...

You won't think it's winter.  The days are quite warm and we don't walk too far, because it's very hilly.
The night is pleasantly spent around a big campfire and we are actually hot!  Not the cold winter nights that you can expect around this time of the year.  Even during the day the temperature climbs to 26 degrees!

---

On Sunday the others take their kayaks out again and Heather gives us the keys to her car, so that Dianne and I can go a bit further afield to find some more caches.  We have a good morning.  We've found a 'power trail' nearby and come home with 17 finds.  So, the weekend total for us is 18 as it is a geocaching event and we get a smiley for logging the event as well.




When we come back it's lunch time and then packing up time.  Dianne leaves with Heather and I drive home by myself.  By the time I get home the sky is dark and ominous and just after I have unpacked the camper the thunder comes rolling in.  Before the night has started the rain comes down by the bucket load, but it's the right time of the day.  I am inside, unpacked and the rain will do the garden a lot of good.

Following are a few pictures of the caches and that's all for this weekend.


Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe (cache) 




Crazy Flying Machines (power trail caches)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.