Tuesday 29 October 2019

Portugal - fourth week I (Alvito, Vila Nova de Milfontes, Portimão)


Monday 21 October 2019


A busy day, because we are planning a week away and also have to do a few chores at home.  Then we discover that we haven't seen the castle in Alvito at all, so that's on the to-do list for today.

We take our rubbish, which is not being picked up here, to deposit somewhere and our shopping list and drive to town.  When we walk into the castle entrance we feel something is different, but can't put a finger on it, and it is not until we talk to a 'receptionist' (thinking that she was from tourist information) that we discover that the castle has been refurbished and made into a hotel.  Downstairs are the lobby and a huge restaurant, and upstairs are the rooms.

We were allowed though to have a look and wander through the gardens.  








Tried a selfie with the selfie stick - just for fun









Tuesday 22 October 2019


As mentioned we have planned a few days away and want to visit the west and south coasts. 

In the morning we drive to Vila Nova de Milfontes where we book a cabin at camping Campiférias.  The cabin is very basic, but has two bedrooms and will do for one night. 

We walk into town and visit the beach, Praia de Franquia.  On the way back discover a little café that serves burgers (if I remember well) and we walk back at about dinner time.  Our dinner time, that is, because the Portuguese restaurants don't open before 7 or even 8 pm.  The reason we give the restaurant at the camping a miss.


holiday homes


a castle, turned into a private hotel







our cabin (my bedroom)

our cabin (dining area)


Wednesday and Thursday 23 & 24 October 2019


We have been told that the overwintering storks from the north nest along the cliffs at Farol Cabo Sardão, so that's where we head the next day.

It's a beautiful walk along the rugged coast line, not unlike the south-eastern coast of Australia.  Not many storks to be seen, but the views and vegetation make up for it.








I don't mind the cold, so I immensely enjoy this
windy walk









We drive on to Rogil where we stop at a roadside restaurant, O Cruzeiro, for lunch.   My travel mobile phone, which I use as my GPS because I have data access, has started to play up.  It looses its charge faster than I can charge it, so we sit in the car for a while until I have enough battery power to keep going.

Close to our stop for the night the GPS sends us to a different village than the one we want, but to the correct street.  I know its basically because of the low battery power, but I can't do much about it.  We try to keep going until we see the sign Portimão and look again for the same street name.  With success I may add.

We are welcomed by our hosts Joan and Greg and it is a wonderful airbnb.  We are in a big room with single beds and a big en-suite.

As I want to swap my two SIM cards (the travel SIM needs to go to my 'good' phone) we look for a phone shop where someone can help me with this.  I have not brought my special tool for this, but a very kind young man in the shop swaps them in no time.

It's way past dinner time by now, so we look for a place to eat and end up at the Wok to Walk, after which we drive back to our place for the night.




the balcony of our 2nd room


our first room

As we lost a lot of time the day before we decide to book an extra night in Portimão.  Out of necessity we get a lesser room: double bed, smaller ensuite, etc. but we don't care.  We actually pay less for it as well.  Buffet breakfast however is delicious, varied and well-presented.  As are our rooms, which even have coffee making facilities and a small fridge!

The next day we spend in and around Portimão.  We walk along the beach, Praia da Rocha, and later along the promenade.  We find a nice little restaurant, Caffé da Rocha, for lunch, after which we return to our B&B for a bit of a rest.









As this is a post with many pictures I will split the fourth week in half and post the rest separately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.